Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 5, 2011 Wall of Dust--THE HABOOB

I Took These photos off the i-net.  This is what I've been dealing with all day...the mess...black, thick dirt.




This is what the wall of dust made our neighborhood look like when it was actually sunny and light outdoors.  We could not see our next door neighbor's house in daylight.

I call it a DIRT OUT!  In Upstate NY we had white outs, but AZ has a black version and with dirt and dust.  It was interesting, but clean-up is gross!

I received a phone call from Daughter #1 who asked me, “What’s up with the weather.”  I inquired, “What are you talking about?”  
She responded, “There is this HUGE black cloud coming and we can’t see anything!”
I walked out back to see and WOW!  It was headed our way fast.  I yelled for everyone in the house to help me gather things up and within 5 minutes it hit.
Black, filth, dirt.  A monsterous HABOOB, as the oldtimers call it.  
Instantly we changed from day to darkest night.  No sun, even our bright AZ sun, could not get through.

After running in the house, we kept opening the door to see it, and within seconds the whole house will covered in a grimey filth.  I spent hours today cleaning up the outside.  Black baby-powder-like dust is everywhere....I can see my footprints in the grass.  The patio is covered, etc.  And there is other debris; many yard trash bags filled.

I swiped these photos off the internet.  I wanted to take my own photo, but there was no time to grab my camera until the massive cloud had swept over us.

This clean-up will continue for days..........hope Haboob stays away.
These are my photos inside Haboob and showing the TV weather alert...after it was already on us.  It came fast.

STANDING IN THE DRIVEWAY--TOOK WITH A FLASH
IT REALLY IS, OR WAS, A SUNNY AFTERNOON
IT'S JUST DIRT....
CAME TOO FAST FOR THIS WEATHER ALERT


2 comments:

  1. Oh Kris, What a mess! I'm so sorry for you and your family that you had to go through this! I can't even imagine the clean up! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I saw this on the news and thought of you. Hope your clean up efforts are going well - I am sorry to hear you were affected.
    I will take our NY snow white outs any day over something like this.
    Hopefully, you will be back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete