Friday, October 21, 2011

French Froday With Dorie: Pissaladiere


PISSALADIERE WITH A FEW CHANGES
We LOVE pizza at our house!  Hubby could live on pizza; could eat it every day.  Today’s assignment was like pizza.  So, to compare, I made a batch of Dorie’s dough and a batch of my dough...mine has no egg...I wanted to see what that egg contributed to a similar ingredient recipe.

Then, I found a bag of plum tomatoes that had to be used, so I thought, “Good, I’ll have fresh sauce.”
ONIONS SAUTEED UNTIL TRANSLUCENT
And I couldn’t bring myself to add anchovies, so I wondered what might look similar, and... I found lovely Portobelo mushrooms which, when sliced, look just like anchovies, right?  Gills and all.

PORTOBELO MUSHROOMS

ALSO SAUTEED
And, I thought that the 6 medium onions on one “pizza” were a bit much, so I cut the onion amount way down.  Then I sliced my olives...just because that was requested by a drooling bystander.  And to this point, those were my changes.
THE SPONGE HAS RISEN
THE KNEADED DOUGH LEFT TO RISE
THE DOUGH HAS RISEN
Oh, and of necessity, there was one additional change.  Because I had made bread earlier in the week and it did not rise well even though I used fresh yeast...must have gotten hot in Sam’s Club warehouse or truck somewhere and been killed; it’s Arizona...I decided to make a sponge using my new yeast...just to be sure.   I mixed the yeast, sugar, water, and partial flour...just to make certain the yeast was alive, and a sponge for this type of recipe is a good thing.
THE PISSALADIERE IS OVEN_READY
After putting the pizza into the hot oven, I saw that I had actually made other “mistake” changes...in my brain-dead mode I had added some of my freshly made sauce.  Well, don’t most pizza’s have sauce?  Just a habit.  And I had added a little cheese, not much.  Oh well, it was a paperwork day today and it will do it to you.
WHILE BAKING ON ITS HOT STONE, I THROW ON THE OLIVES
Panic...my nicely sliced olives were sitting on the counter, not on my baking pizza.  So, I opened the oven and threw them on...and curled my eyelashes at the same time.  But in AZ we are used to blasts of heat. (Az heat is a good thing for rising dough...mine was ready in 30 minutes.)
 
THE FINISHED PISSALADIERE LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!
I had considered making a fresh garden salad to accompany the pizza, but after sweeping the fridge and finding veges, in addition to those tomatoes needing use, I decided to bake a few vege pizzas and call it good.
 
I baked the pissaladiere/pizzas on my pizza stone in a 450^ oven.  With the crust rolled thin, baking time was only 5 minutes and they were perfectly done.

I cut a piece of the pissaladiere and liked the flavors, however, I thought the onions were a bit oily from being sauteed in a little olive oil, but I’m used to unoiled, fresh veges on my pizza’s.  All the flavors were really good, and I loved my mushrooms.  This was a good choice for me.
MY FAVORITE PIZZA IS READY FOR THE OVEN
MY PERSONAL BEST CHOICE
PIZZA WITH "LEFTOVER" INGREDIENTS
 
THE "LEFTOVERS" PIZZA #2
And my choice to make a few pizzas was good...just as I finished, Hubby and #1 Son and a friend walked into the kitchen and had only 20 minutes before they had to leave for a Town of Gilbert committee meeting.  They were excited to find pizza on the menu.
FRESH SPINACH PIZZA
I love working with dough...works my stresses out.  And all the delicious flavors and smells in Kris’ Pizzeria get my mind off everything else.  The best part is having family come home and be excited about my kitchen work. #1 Son returned here after the meeting and took the leftovers home. ..said he had been dreaming about eating more all through the meeting.  

 
HONEY'S FAVORITE...OLIVE PIZZA
And what about my comparison of Dorie’s “egg” dough vs my more traditional dough?  Not much difference.  Dorie’s dough was a bit softer bottom crust...the edges were crisped just right.  The flavor: not enough difference to write about.  Being a little softer dough, it was an easier roll out for the thin crust....did not spring back into shape as I rolled.  My dough was a similar size batch.....I got several thin crust pizzas from these two batches of dough.  Dorie’s dough definitely makes 3 thin crust home-size pizzas.

 
MY AFTERNOON'S WORK
Note: I know my pans look gross.  After baking the pizzas I put them out on my super old cookie sheets...sheets that are older than some of you reading this post.  I don’t mind hubby using them out on the grill, and I don’t mind pizza eaters cutting their pizzas on these pans...I would not want all the cuts made on my good baking sheets.   

18 comments:

  1. HA! I think we were dreaming about the same things this week! I'd like your sauce recipe ... I just made spaghetti sauce & it was too spaghetti-y for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mushies look convincing as anchovies! Your array of pizzas looks so tempting ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking up at the though of mush-chovies... And WOW on all the pizza varieties.
    The pans with just one lip on them look a lot like the ones I inherited from my Grammy Baker.
    (I have pans that are just for "junk" use - some foods are just brutal on bakeware).
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Thats a great idea for old baking sheets you dont want to throw away though! All my moms are like that, one of these days I'm going to buy her all new baking equipment, at least the essentials! Even though she doesnt do that much baking! Love how much like the anchovies your mushrooms resembled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mushrooms - what a marvelous idea! Love your pizza's!

    Happy French Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! All your pizzas look so tasty! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love the shot of all your photos together! Your family is lucky to have such a talented cook to look after them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris, What a great idea to use portable as a substitute for the anchovies. Wish I thought of that...not a fan of anchovies. All of your pizzas look fabulous...I think you feed an army over at your house. How nice to have your family so close. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pizza pans are not gross! They are experienced! What an impressive spread, Krissy. All of the pizzas look fantastic, especially that not-a-pissaladiere

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a lot of pizza! Looks deeeelicious! I'll trade you one slice of that pizza for my entire pissaladiere! hahaha I think you chose wisely. I love the faux anchovies, too. They look just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I am coming to your house for pizza night!! Wow, there is something for everyone. Honey likes olives?! My husband's little niece loves them as well. I just love watching her eat because she eats things that most kids turn their nose up at. That is a great picture of you and your best friends! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your post! Your pizzas look amazing. I also used mushrooms, clever idea to make them look like anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, do you do deliveries? ;-) Love your array of pizzas, and I also liked the way you placed the anchovies with portobellos. The arrangement of the mushrooms on the pizza is really eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kris's pizzeria looks like a great place for dinner! That's a nice assortment of pies. While I do like anchovies, I think the mushroom substitition was clever. Same shape and look. Hopefully a better taste for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, imagine coming home to a selection of pizzas that look so
    fantastic. That is also a great way to use up veggies. Everything
    looks delicious. I agree with E!, I would trade you anything for
    a slice of any of those pizzas. I can't believe how the mushrooms
    look just like anchovies. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well used seasoned pans speaks to the experience of the chef. :-) Love all your varieties and the mushroom substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is enough gorgeous pizza to make me forget entirely about pissala...whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me howling at the comment about those pans being older than some of the readers - hilarious ! And good for you to keep them and re-use them. I can not get over how delicious that selection of pizza looks. You really inspired me to play around with pizza dough and try some homemade versions. The reaction of your family (how lucky were THEY !!) is fabulous- I would have a smile on my face for days if my son wanted left overs because he kept thinking about my food !

    ReplyDelete