Saturday, May 5, 2012

Baked Sunday Mornings: Malted Waffles

PERFCT MALT AND BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
Who doesn't love waffles, especially when they are light and airy on the inside and crispy on the outside?  This Baked recipe is perfect.

THICK BATTER IS EASY TO USE...NO DRIPS
Stephy-Wephy and Honey spent the night...a girls night of movies, eating and fun...their daddy was in CA for the weekend.  We needed a quick breakfast  because we decided it was a great morning to hit the mall and get all our shopping done.  

This waffle recipe met our needs as it took about 10 minutes from start to eating.  We made 8 large waffles on our iron...we each ate 2 or 3...they slid right down.

I'M TRYING TO DECIDE IF I WANT TO TRY ANOTHER NEW FOOD
I had wanted to make this a special waffle morning...until the mall idea.  We had planned to garnish our waffles with ice cream and fun toppings, but in our rush we used two kinds of homemade syrups that were already in the fridge:  blueberry and the caramel syrup made with buttermilk which is a family favorite.  If anyone had not made the caramely buttermilk syrup, you need to ask me for the recipe!  We make and eat it by the gallons.

I"LL GIVE THIS A TRY
FORGET THE FORK--THIS IS SERIOUSLY DELISH!

I wondered how this batter would taste with so much malt and also wondered if the buttermilk flavor would be overpowering.  Neither were...the total flavor was pleasing and just how a waffle should be.  I will definitely use this recipe again.

HERE'S MY STACK--NOTE HOW LIGHT AND AIRY THESE WAFFLES ARE

 OK...I'll get this done.  

Recipe for the buttermilk syrup. 

1 quart buttermilk
2 pounds butter
8 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup

Boil these ingredients together for 10 minutes in a huge pot.  It must be huge because when you add 4 teaspoons baking soda and continue to boil for an additional 2 minutes, this mixture will foam up and boil over and create a horrible mess.  I know, I've done it a couple of times...didn't learn the first time.

Then after removing from the heat, add 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, stir and the syrup is ready to use.

This is a great substitute for maple syrup.  It keeps in the fridge for a couple of months...just carefully reheat (microwave is good) and stir before using (the butter comes to the top when cold).

This syrup is the most requested syrup by my family and also by all my neighbors.  And, no problem to cut this recipe in half or just make a quarter of it.



12 comments:

  1. Yum, Kris! I've never heard of Buttermilk Syrup before - will definitely have to give it a try! Your photos are adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your waffles are so thick and fluffy and beautiful! Honey definitely enjoyed them. How cute! :) I also have not heard of buttermilk syrup before, but it sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little girl is darling! The waffles turned out nice and fluffy. Thank you for posting the recipe for the buttermilk syrup. The syrup recipe is on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm....these look fabulous! And Honey looks very pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That buttermilk syrup sounds interesting! Your waffles are real pretty, but u know what? I really enjoy seeing the kids growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely have to try that buttermilk syrup! Your waffles do look so light and airy and delicious -- great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honey is getting so big and looks like she's really enjoying these waffles! They looks scrumptious! I am definitely going to try your buttermilk syrup…sounds yummy! Thanks for the heads up on the boiling over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! It looks like she really loved the waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable taste tester!!! Your waffles look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your waffle stack looks wonderful! thanks for the syrup recipe I'll be making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The waffles look perfect and the syrup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi... Lovely waffles, I'llhave to make some sometime... and I liked the caption saying: "Forget the fork- this is seriously delish!"

    ReplyDelete