Thursday, May 3, 2012

French Friday with Dorie: Almond Flounder Meuniere



HEALTHY FISH TACOS FOR CINCO DE MAYO
We love fish at our house, even though it is not always easy to find good fresh fish here in the desert.  We also love Mexican foods, and Saturday much of Arizona celebrates Cinco de Mayo.  In honor of Spanish feasts, which are family favorites, we’ve been eating Mexican foods all week.  It’s fun to visit the Mexican food markets where I find fresh, inexpensive produce and other items especially during this week.

Because we have an abundance of these fresh ingredients for our daily fiestas, today’s fish became one of those meals for us to enjoy.  And instead of parsley, cilantro is today's choice, and along with the lemon zest, lime juice is squeezed on this fish.

One side of the flounder is brushed with egg which is then coated in seasoned ground almonds.  This almond meal added a sweetness to the fish and is not overpowering in flavor, making it a great, healthy insert for warm tortillas.  I chose to not add anything else to my fish tacos as I wanted to taste the full flavor of this almond fish.  It is delicious and perfectly seasoned with lemon zest, salt and pepper, and cooked in browned butter.

I know this group is all about French cooking, but for this weekend, especially, I’ll also enjoy a Mexican influence.

I look forward to seeing all of your creations.


17 comments:

  1. I love fish tacos! Great idea! These look wonderful. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fish tacos! What a neat way to use this dish.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was perfect for tacos! What a lovely plate of food, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tacos look delicious!!! Fish...in the desert... I know. But I thought this was great too. I like the idea of cilantro and lime. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious way of serving this fish! Wonderful photos! Have a great Weekend, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe would make good fish tacos. good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum, I LOVE fish tacos, and that is definitely something on can not find here. And yes, while the book might be french influenced cooking, I love seeing how we all adapt the recipes to our own regions and families. I think Dorie would approve:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you did fish tacos with this - they look amazing! Healthy, fresh and scrumptious! Happy Cinco De Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Cinco De Mayo, Kris. I was happy to see this fish served in a different manner. Isn't it delicious?Even if you had added all the usual fish taco trimmings, don't you think the full flavor of the fish would have still been spotlighted? I cannot believe you went Latino all week - good for you. Your household must be a fun place to live. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOH!! fish tacos is SUCH a brilliant idea with a cut of fish like this!!! ... I'm totally going to try it later this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowie Zowie Allison, this looks like my kind of dinner! Love fish tacos - I'm saving this recipe for the beach this summer! My kids will go crazy over this - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops - just realized this wasn't Allison's blog - but it still looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect way to blend the cultures, Kris. Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! I love fish tacos and will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum that you made them into tacos! I love fish tacos, and these look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fish tacos are one of my very favorite things to eat! Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete