Friday, October 7, 2011

Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins

DARK CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS ARE GOOD FOR BREAKFAST OR ANY TIME OF THE DAY
It seems like I have overripe bananas to use every week.  When the kids were young, every Saturday morning  I made a batch of banana buttermilk pancake batter which was inhaled.  We always added special toppings like chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, fresh fruits, and ice cream.  I loved the chocolate with the banana; one of my all time favorites.

Baking these chocolate banana muffins had only one surprise...they are really chocolatey...like good dark chocolate.  With all the other ingredients, and with lots of banana, I was expecting a more mild chocolate flavor.  These muffins disappeared quickly and I will make them again soon...like later this week when I have too many overripe bananas.

This recipe makes 4 dozen regular cupcake size muffins and uses that too-often-on-hand bunch of overripe bananas.

Preheat oven to 350^.  Baking time if the oven is filled with all the muffins will be about 30 minutes.  If the recipe is halved, baking time will be about 20 minutes. Every oven is different.  Begin checking at 20 minutes. If the entire recipe is baked at once; rotate pans 1/2 way through baking.  Use the center oven space for baking these muffins.

Ingredients:  
In a medium size bowl, whisk to combine:
3 C   AP flour
1 2/3 C cocoa
2 t  baking soda
1 t  salt

In a mixer bowl with paddle attachment, combine:
1 C sour cream--if liquid has formed at the top, pour it off before measuring out the sour cream.  There will be enough moisture in the bananas, especially if an extra one is added in.
3 sticks butter at room temperature

Beat above butter mixture until it is creamy and smooth.

Add:
2 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
6 eggs

Again, beat until creamy.

Then add 6 to 8--a nice size bunch--very ripe bananas.   Continue to mix 3-4 minutes on medium speed.  Bananas will have small chunks which are delicious in the muffins.   It's OK if this mixture looks curdled.

Add 1/2 the dry to the wet ingredients.  Mix just until combined.  Then add remainder of dry ingredients and mix again until combined.

Line cupcake/muffin pans with papers and fill 3/4 full...use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop for no-mess.

When done, cool muffins on a rack while in the pans.

These muffins are good enough to be cupcakes...fooled my grandkids who asked for more....and they don't need frosting.


4 comments:

  1. You completely crack me up! I agree, the description of the Cornish Hens left a lot to be desired. I was feeling bad that I'd missed so many Fridays lately, so I decided to go ahead and make them. Believe me, they were far better than they sounded. I was hoping no one would post photos of raw chicken, but, of course they did.

    It's such a diverse group! It's hard to believe we've been at if for a year now.

    BTW, the Baked Oatmeal Cake was very easy & great for autumn. And, these muffins look delicious!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe - they do look good & chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 very ripe bananas on my counter right now. I am going to try halve this recipe and try it because I love chocolate and I am sure I would love this muffins. The color of them is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, I finally had a chance to make these last night and they are wonderful! It was such a refreshing change from the usual banana muffins and banana nut bread I made when I have overripe bananas. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete