Friday, March 30, 2012

French Friday with Dorie: Crab and Grapefruit Salad

THIS SALAD MADE A FANCY MAIN COURSE FOR MY BACKYARD LUNCHEON
The exquisite flavors and textures in every bite of this salad made it a surprising hit.  I admit that when I first considered pairing grapefruit with crab I wasn't getting good vibes.  Because of that I made no special efforts with this salad other than making it pretty enough for a patio luncheon.

Because I was not optimistic, I decided to use whatever was already in the fridge or growing in the yard.

Dorie's Bonne Idee of putting a layer of spicy guacamole in the bottom of the bowls sounded like the best way to begin.  I'm glad I took this suggestion which gave so much rich flavor to all the other ingredients--like adding a great dressing that brings all the other flavors together and really finishes the salad.

MY BACKYARD GRAPEFRUIT
In addition to Dorie's vegetable list, I added celery and shelled raw English peas.  I had mint growing in the garden and used baby spinach as a top garnish along with seasoned shrimp.

I know I'm weird, but I love salty grapefruit.  Everyone I know either eats this fruit just as Mother Nature produced it or with a sprinkling of sugar, but I sit out in the back yard with my salt shaker and enjoy my breakfast in grapefruit heaven.  So, the idea of salting and peppering this grapefruit salad was right up my alley. 

I shouldn't admit it, but my way big cheat was...it was already  in the fridge...I used imitation krab which I love in salads.  It was sweet and delicious and I would do it again!  And no one complained.  There aren't many options for fresh lump crab meat in AZ.  (I do get those containers of pasturized lump crab meat from companies like Phillips when I make my Maryland style crabcakes...it's good, but I wouldn't want it in a salad!)
A DELICIOUS, EDIBLE CENTER PIECE THAT IS HEALTHY, AND BEAUTIFUL--PERFECT FOR THIS SUNNY SPRING DAY

Hope you are all enjoying lovely Spring days too.  I can't believe I will be turning my calendar page to April in only one more day.

17 comments:

  1. Love your photos! So beautiful! And I love your cheat! The peas addition freaks me out so much I might have to try adding them when I make this for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am insanely jealous of your backyard grapefruit.
    And fresh young peas sound great.
    It looks pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! My grapefruit seedling has flowered but is hesitant to give us fruit. Your grapefruit tree looks beautiful, as does your whole spread. I could eat like that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to make it with the layer of guacamole next time, Kris. Yours looks wonderful and perfect for eating outside. Can't get better than picking your own grapefruit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely meal even though you were only using ingredients already in the kitchen or growing in the yard! I'm totally envious over that grapefruit on tree photo. I do like imitation crab in california roll so perhaps I will give them a try next time I'm feeling thrifty. I certainly can't afford to splurge on this recipe as written on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that photo of grapefruit. I guess I never pictured them on a vine, DUH....

    The salad looks great and I love all the veggies additions. I skipped this week's recipe because of
    grapefruit and medications mixes, but Tricia did her part and I thought it worked out well. I have never
    used imitation crab, but from what I have read so far its seems to be pretty tasty. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful luncheon! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, I love the two prawns on the side of the glasses - it makes the salad look like a traditional prawn cocktail. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how beautiful! And I love the idea of spicy guacamole in the bottom of the dish...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your additions, especially with the shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris, I am so jealous of your grapefruit tree! How wonderful to have fresh grapefruit growing in your backyard. Your salad looks beautiful…spicy guacamole sounds like a great addition! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm jealous of your sunshine and that's the truth! We've had grey skies here for awhile now. You've made a wonderful spread and I love everything about your salad. Have a wonderful weekend;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your adaptations, Kris. I love shrimp - what a great addition! And your backyard picnic looks picture perfect!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a perfect lunch. And I am also jealous of your backyard grapefruit...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kris, Yeah, when I think about Arizona, I look around and don't see much water. So, I don't suspect that those crabs are crawling around just waiting to be grabbed and tossed into a salad. Nice improvisations, however, and your salad looked (and, tasted, I'm sure) delicious. I, like everyone, am insanely jealous of your grapefruit tree. Yes, I like my grapefruit as Mother Nature births it but, on your patio, I'd even give salt a try. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like the peas and baby spinach additions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kris I feel like I just had a lovely spring afternoon picnic! What a beautiful and inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete