Saturday, November 24, 2012

Baked Sunday Mornings: Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting



A PERFECT BALANCE OF PUMPKIN, ALMONDS, SPICES
Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends!  Such a cherished time of year to focus on family and friends.  Great foods, such as today’s cake, make our holidays even more special as we celebrate this season.

I’ve disappeared for about 6 months; have not even opened my blog where I record what I  bake and cook with friends, and I’ve missed out on enjoying all  your tips and creativity as well as your friendships....and I'm sure, lots of wonderful food.  So many things have happened over the past few months, some hard and some wonderful; all very time consuming.  Out of necessity, I've had to put aside some of my hobbies even though these kinds of hobbies benefit those I care about.

I’ll write more about my adventures over the past 6 months later, but I’m happy to be back and am excited to see what you all are doing.

I purchased the new Baked Elements cookbook a couple of months ago and actually tagged  the Pumpkin Almond Cake as the book's recipe to bake first.  Due to ongoing events, I’d not been able to get to this recipe.  Even though it fits into fall baking perfectly, I had no time to try a new recipe, even though this one is quite routine.  I actually opened our Baked Sunday Morning site in error while working on another project, but was delighted to find this recipe for today’s assignment.   Even though I’ve been in the kitchen for days preparing and cleaning up our Thanksgiving feast, I couldn’t resist this recipe that had earlier caught my eye.  I have family and extras coming for Sunday dinner and am ready for a new dessert.

This Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting is truly a great cake.  I doubled the recipe to feed my expected crowd, turned it into a huge layer cake, and it is delicious and beautiful and a little different from our usual fare.  My frosting is not as smooth as in the given photo because I used Trader Joe’s Chunky Almond Butter...I would do this again.  We loved the crunch along with the moist, dense pumpkin-almond cake.  Even though the toasted almonds garnishing the top give some good texture, we liked the little chunks best.  Hubby commented on all the layers of flavors in this recipe; he loves them.
MY DELICIOUS SLICE--THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE "BAKED" RECIPES SO FAR!!!
My large slice is cut only1/3 across this large 10" cake (meaning someone cutting from the opposite side could end up with a slice almost 7" deep...this is a really big cake!).  The recipe calls for a 9" cake pan, however, my 10" pans were filled just past the top when baked.  I would have had extra batter if 9" pans were used.

This recipe has a perfect combination of spices, pumpkin, and almonds, creating a pleasing dessert that is almost healthy.  There are no overpowering flavors, just an enjoyable blend of many flavors that are especially craved at this time of year.

For sure, this Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting will become an Autumn staple in our house.  I’m excited to see what you all are doing and to have the chance to say “Hi,” and also to wish you all a wonderful Holiday Season!

13 comments:

  1. Layered!! Love it! It looks so good as a layered cake. Great idea. I didn't enjoy the frosting, but seeing it as a layered cake, I can imagine making it again like this, just with a different frosting.
    Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris! I've missed you! This cake was great - easy to make and elegant. Looking forward to catching up with you.

    I've been terribly delinquent on FFWD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is an beautiful, enormous cake! (I used a 9-inch pan that was 3-inches deep; I might have had a problem with a shorter pan.) I also love the idea of having crunchy frosting. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Kris! I have missed you and your posts and I am glad to read that you are well. Your cake looks gorgeous with the two layers. I'm glad that this one was also a hit with your family. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, I instinctually got out two cake pans since I assumed this would be a layer cake. Yours looks lovely. I started participating with the group pretty recently; I look forward to baking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Your cake looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake is twice as nice with the layers! Great idea. If I used almond butter I would have gone chunky too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to see you back - I've missed reading your posts! I hope your holiday weekend was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great as a layered cake! Wish I had a piece right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Chris…I’ve really missed you around the blogosphere!! Your cake looks lovely…Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to see you are back to blogging! Been worried! Cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I joined the group fairly recently, and I love meeting "new" bakers! I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy your blog a lot. :) Your cake looks GORGEOUS-- I love the double layer look with exposed frosting in the middle. Sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time-- hopefully baking helps get through the hard stuff!

    ReplyDelete