Monday, January 7, 2013

Tuesdays with Julia and Dorie: Pizza with Onion Confit


NOT OUR USUAL FRIDAY NIGHT PIZZA


 Eastern Mediterranean Pizza was on the menu for today's dinner.  This is not your usual cheese and tomato sauce pizza but is topped, instead, with a well seasoned onion confit and can then be topped with olives (my choice), goat cheese, or Parmesan--or any other topping desired.  (I'm certain that an Eastern Mediterranean momma does not use common canned black olives, but we like them at our house.)

The recipe makes enough dough for two large pizzas, but being in a playing mood, I made a double batch of dough, baked the pizza with onion confit, and then made stuffed bread loaves from the remaining dough.  I was worried that my family would not care enough for the onion pizza to fill themselves with that item as main course for dinner.  

Everyone tried the pizza, most liked the flavors, but most also thought it was too rich to eat large slices.

STUFFED BREAD LOAVES
But everyone loved this dough turned into stuffed bread.  I made several loaves filled with provolone cheese, tomato sauce (with some of those lovely onions added), salami and pepperoni.  I gave the loaves an egg wash which held a sprinkling of sesame seeds.  This part of our meal was a hit!

Always fun to try new things.  I think that in mini size today's pizza would make excellent appetizers, but for pizza, I'll stay traditional.

19 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I like the stuffed bread loaves. Yum... I have half my dough left - that is a great idea for using up the leftovers.

    We went with black olives too! Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I thought about making a stromboli with the second half of the pizza dough but I was lazy and just made another pizza.. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those stuffed bread loaves look awesome! Nice to know that, even if the pizza didn't get rave reviews, the dough is still a winner. Beautiful work on those loaves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the pizza wasn't a hit, but your stuffed bread looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuffed bread... I haven´t eaten or made that in a long time. It looks amazing! And with pepperoni, you have me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stuffed bread looks beautiful. I wouldn't have thought to do that with the extra pizza dough. What a great idea. I will have to try that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krissy, I am really impressed with the idea of baking stuffed bread loaves - now there is an idea that my kids would love, I am sure! They look just wonderfully delicious and so very creative! But I also like the way your pizza with the onion confit and the black olives looks like! Olives are really nice in combination with the caramelized onions and I am sure that the pizza tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea with the stuffed bread. Love it! Blessings, Catherine www.praycookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the stuffed bread idea! How long did you leave the stuffed bread to rise?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pizza looks great but those loaves are amazing! And the filling sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those stuffed bread loaves look wonderful! I wish I had hought of that. I guess I will just have to make it again. I agree that the pizza was a bit strongly flavored, but I managed to eat two big pieces anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stuffed bread loaves look amazing. Fabulous how you could turn the pizza dough into great looking, and we are certain, great tasting bread. We also chose the black olives for our gf version of the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Kris! Those stuffed bead loaves look incredible! You're so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 7" pizza I made was a perfect serving. And yes, it is rich!! Love the idea of the stuffed loaves. Glad now I made the whole dough and only used 1/3 for pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like the new rendition of the pizza dough.

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Krissy, I missed your Tuesdays with Dorie Post last week. What a terrific, terrific idea. The loaves look delicious. I think your pizza looks pretty darn tasty also. With the second piece of dough from this recipe, I had a total fail. I made stromboli for the first time, a sorta stuffed bread also. I had a dish of roasted vegetables left over from a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe and wanted to use them. So I rolled out the dough, filled the bottom with cheese and them just loaded the dough with all the veggies. Rolled it up, jelly-roll style, and put it on my pizza stone to cook. Well, the outside was beautiful, the veggies were hot, but I had so much filling in the stromboli that the inside dough was raw. It hadn't cooked. My bad. Lesson learned. But, we just keep trying, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your stuffed bread! I still have half the dough left in the freezer - maybe I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We loved the pizza here. Your stuffed loaves look awesome!

    ReplyDelete