Thursday, January 26, 2012

French Friday with Dorie: Broth Braised Potatoes

QUICK AND SIMPLE BRAISED POTATOES WITH SO MUCH GREAT FLAVOR

Who doesn't love potatoes in all their varieties and with so many recipes to choose from, but...the usual problem with potatoes at our house is that they get loaded with fats from many sources.  We love them fried, mashed and loaded with cream cheese and butter, in gratins and twice baked, with cheeses, swimming in gravies and sauces, in funeral potatoes and casseroles,  in soup, in spudnuts and breads...and the list goes on.  And all loaded with oils and fats of every kind.


THESE POTATOES WERE GREAT THE NEXT MORNING FOR BREAKFAST--EVERYTHING ON THE PLATE IS HOMEMADE--MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

Except for a very little olive oil, these potatoes are fat free.  Amazing.  And they taste good.  They are full of flavor from fresh herbs, lemon zest, garlic and other seasonings.


AND THEY FRIED UP NICELY WITHOUT EXTRA FAT---MAKES HUBBY HAPPY!

And, especially over the next month or so I'll be very thankful for simple, quick recipes because it is tax time for our business.  Today I did last quarters taxes (which were unusually horrible...I lost 50 cents and had to work hard and long to find it), tomorrow is W-2s and 1099s, next week is payday, and then I really get going...everything needs to get prepared for those April 15th taxes. I'd much rather be baking goodies or cooking tasty foods.

This morning's breakfast was also tasty with these potatoes.  I'll be making them again for sure.

It will be fun to see what you all have done with your potatoes...I expect to see some very yummy meals!

18 comments:

  1. Agreed, I could eat potatoes in every imaginable way, but sometimes the simplest preparations are the best. Especially during tax season! My mother is an accountant and I seem to remember that growing up, tax season meant take-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your potatoes look very fine with the sprig of rosemary on top, but fried up next day for breakfast - they look awesome! Hope the tax season disappears soon so that life goes back to normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your breakfast potatoes look great! I should pan fry the leftover ones I still have in the fridge. Oh taxes... like for Rose growing up, tax season for me also means takeout and sandwiches. Even though I haven't worked in public accounting in years my husband still does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tax time, ugh! Does anyone like tax time? We are exactly the same about potatoes, love them, but they're just a fat delivery system! These were perfect, flavorful and very little fat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Great idea to serve the spuds for breakfast the next morning. Ugh, don't remind me-tax time;-(. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was nice to have such a simple recipe.
    Best wishes with your taxes - its bad enough filing them individually, I can't imagine the aggravation of doing it for a business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We liked our leftovers best ... with ketchup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blech, taxes. Every year, there's some new complication that just makes me roll my eyes. I miss my 20's and the simplicity of the 1040EZ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your taxes! Your potatoes look delicious, and I'll have to save some of mine for breakfast next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am gong to have to make the potatoes just so I can fry them up. I love, love fried potatoes with eggs. It's the only time I don't mind eating eats for breakfast if there is a side of potatoes. Looks like such a hearty breakfast and just the think you need during this busy time for you. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't even thought about the fact that these are healthy as well as being good. You're right--it's nice to have a potato recipe that doesn't rely on added fat for flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked these too. I have some left over, so maybe I'll try them as hash browns for breakfast tomorrow. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeek! Taxes! That definitely requires some good comfort food like these potatoes. I love that you used them for breakfast the next day - wish I had thought to use my leftovers that way. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your pictures - and, you SHOULD feel proud that everything on that plate was homemade. Are we all in agreement that the hashbrowns are almost the best things about this recipe. Thanks, Dorie, for that idea. I received my tax information from my CPA yesterday. UGH. But, I love being an American and living in America so I am happy to pay taxes. My fair share, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, your potatoes look so good! Your hashbrowns look so good it makes me want to make some more of the potatoes just to try them... And I think you'll definitely deserve some comfort food over the next while - taxes... but I guess it all evens out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yours look fantastic! That last photo made me want to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I didn't realize how much fat goes into the typical potato preparations....definitely this is a great alternative! Hope you'll get a nice break after all the number crunching for taxes is completed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, good luck with the taxes...I'm ignoring my pile! Your potatoes look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete