Saturday, February 11, 2012

Baked Sunday Mornings: Chocolate Whoopie Pies

I LOVE THESE WHOOPIE PIES.  THEY CAN BE DECORATED FOR ANY HOLIDAY
I love these Chocolate Whoopie Pies which are perfect as a Valentine for someone  loved.  These almost melt in your mouth "pies" have great flavor, are relatively simple to make, yet look like a special, more complex treat.  

And what could be better than chocolate, butter, sugar....little clouds of heaven.

And I just read that the biggest chocolate day of the year is Valentine's Day, followed by Easter.  So, these are perfect as a preview for Cupid's day.

I'M FILLING,  SANDWICHING,  AND DECORATING
Last year about this time we made the Red Velvet Whoopie Pies which were fun and tasty.  I remember liking the cream cheese filling, but also remember that after the first day, these whoopie pies did not hold up  well and were not so good.  They were definitely day-old baked goods.

As a comparison, today's whoopie pies seem to be lighter, being made with oil, where last year's included oil, butter, and shortening...all with different properties.  In my opinion, today's Whoppie Pies are a better recipe than those we baked last year. Today's Chocolate Whoopie Pies are actually great!

To make these pies for Valentine's Day,  I used a red cherry flavoring in the filling ...one that is popular as an Italian soda or coffee flavoring.  This added ingredient turned the filling a pretty pink...not shown very well in the photos... and gave a subtle cherry flavor.  I wished I'd added a little to the chocolate batter and even more to the filling.  Then, Valentine sprinkles were added to finish the look.  Heart shapes would also be fun to bake...maybe next year.

This recipe makes about 4 dozen sandwiches  using about a tablespoon of batter for each half.  This size baked perfectly in 10 minutes.  I would say the yield is greater than the recipe states.  

THESE ARE READY FOR SOMEONE I LOVE
I'm sure my creative cyber friends have some good ideas for these whoopie pies.  I'm excited to see their versions of this recipe.

Note:  The buttercream filling really tasted like butter, as it should, but...the butter was the strongest flavor in this cookie.  It overpowered the chocolate.  Next time I might consider a different filling.  (It was good buttercream filling, but I wanted to have a more chocolatey flavor.)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO EVERYONE!!!

12 comments:

  1. Really pretty, Kris! I love that you made holiday treats out of these. I joined after you made the Red Velvet version so I have no point of comparison - but I agree - these were far easier to make than they look. Beautiful results and a delicious dessert!

    Happy Valentine's Day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with the sprinkles... and the cherry flavor was really smart :) I feel the same way about the filling... holy butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Love the color sprinkles. Such a perfect recipe right before Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Valentine's Day touch that you added to the whoopie pies. It really dresses them up (and the sprinkles would cover up the messy edges since I never spread frosting very evenly!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry is a great idea. I love the cherry chocolate combo and I love the little sprinkles. So very festive! Totally agree about the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sprinkles! Yum, cherry filling. I agree - these held up well. We liked them better today than yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sprinkles look so cute and festive. Like your flavor combo too. I so agree with you on the filling....way too buttery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne@FromMySweetHeart says:
    February 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm

    Hi Kris!
    I can’t reply directly on your blog because it doesn’t accept my credentials for open id. But your pies look so pretty! Great minds think alike in that we both flavored the filling and used sprinkles for Valentine’s day! I really love how yours turned out. And cherry and chocolate is such a great pairing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these are so pretty with the Valentine's Day decors! I can imagine how nice a touch of cherry flavor would be -- yum! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fun, I have got to make these whoopie pies;-)
    My grandkids would go nuts for these;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been off of work for a week and taking a little break from blogging, so I didn't get to these, but I am glad you said that they were better than the red velvet ones we made last year because I do remember them being a bit on the dry side, but I never got to taste them after the first day because I left town for a week. Your pies are so pretty with the sprinkles - a perfect Valentine's treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kris, These are so beautiful! I wish my husband was off his diet so I could do some baking! These would be at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete