Monday, February 6, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie and Julia: White Loaves

EVEN THOUGH THE RECIPE WRITE-UP SAYS THAT THESE LOAVES WILL GROW TO MAKE LARGE SLICES, WE WERE AMAZED BY HOW LARGE THEY REALLY DID GROW...THIS 1/2 LOAF IS ALMOST MORE THAN GRANDBABY M CAN HANDLE
RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN
What a lot of fun to be in a new baking group!  And this will be such a great experience, baking along with committed cyber friends, using recipes from Julia Child  and other master bakers, from Baking With Julia that makes up "a remarkably full course in the art of baking."  These recipes have been written and compiled into a book by Dorie Greenspan using material from Julia's PBS Master Chefs series.  I have personally gone to this wonderful resource when wanting to bake exceptional items such as Alice Medrich's special Chocolate Ruffle Cake.  I have also watched the TV series over and over on the internet, mostly late at night, when I'd rather be baking but can't wake up the house at 3 am.
I USED CERAMIC BREAD PANS WHICH BROWNED THE LOAVES NICELY IN 30 MINUTES AT 325^

This basic white bread is easy to make with our modern mixers which do all the real work.  After kneading the dough, the breads are easily shaped, rise to a traditional shape, and are perfect for sandwiches.  I used bread flour which always makes this type of bread or rolls better for me.

A WEEK'S SUPPLY OF BREAD FOR OUR HOUSE...NEXT TIME I'LL MAKE ONE A CINNAMON LOAF

THESE LOAVES SLICED NICELY EVEN WHILE VERY WARM


THIS BREAD WAS ENJOYED AS USED IN NEXT DAY SANDWICHES

I'm looking forward to improving my baking skills using these classic recipes with this new group.

I'm excited to see what bakers all around the world are doing with today's white bread baking project.

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bread, I love the shot with grandbaby M, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of the grandbaby with the huge loaf!
    I agree with you on the bread flour - it is perfect for recipes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread looks amazing! And your grandbaby is the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol - gorgeous photo of your grandbaby struggling with the massive loaf. I was pleased with this bread too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely perfect, Kris! Too cute photo of your grandson! I'll bet he was in heaven.

    I thought this was a great starter recipe. I'll be using mine for FFWD, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed so much with your grandson!!!!
    They are amazingly big and they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one huge loaf! But, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, he looks like he's struggling with that thing! How adorable! And what lovely bread you made! It really is worth the trouble to make it from scratch, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Huge loaves...nice job.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris...Can't believe how huge that loaf looks next to your grandson!! Very funny picture! Your bread looks absolutely beautiful! Great photos! Glad we're baking together on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i peeked at your blog this morning and decided to use larger bread pans! ha! yes, still baking this afternoon and now we've changed our dinner menu to potato soup to go with what's left of the bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kris your grandson is adorable! So cute :) I can't believe how big your bread is - they look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love that photo of your bread with your grand baby, Kris! Your bread looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one giant loaf of bread!! Looks so good though! Makes one great looking sandwich, that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm SO glad you joined this group, too! Your loaves look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! And I'd like a sandwich, please.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yay! yours rose as much as mine did too!!! :) My husbands jaw dropped when he saw our loaves! LOL!! What a great looking sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved these loaves, too. That picture with your grandbaby is so cute - couldn't help laughing out loud that the loaf is as big as the child!

    It seems I can post again on blogger/blogspot blogs. I'm glad the glitch with WordPress comments seems to have been fixed. I've been missing interacting with everyone!

    ReplyDelete